[WikiEN-l] A Solution to the Image Problem

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Fri Mar 24 01:06:12 UTC 2006

On 24 Mar 2006, at 00:46, Jesse W wrote:

>> No, we have just put up signs saying "dirt".
> Er, no.  If you read this whole thread, we still have about 15,000
> signs to put up, and according to Mark Wagner, a lot of the signs are
> not correct, which is what I assume Ilmari Karonen meant about the
> dirt
> under the carpet.  Getting good enough signs put up is exactly the
> problem we are working on right now.  Whether we have fair use images
> or not is a whole other issue.  Don't mix it in here, please.

We have several problems:

1. 15000 untagged images
2. maybe 70000 incorrectly tagged images
3. perhaps 200000 non free images

This is of course a clear improvement on having 150000 untagged images,
but does not remove the need to delete them. Which was the point of
tagging in the first place (a bit roundabout - would have been less
work to delete before tagging, but hey Jimbo wanted to know how much
there was and it was only supposed to take a few weeks, not a year).

Justinc