[WikiEN-l] Next step in "fair use" cleanup?

jkelly at fas.harvard.edu jkelly at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 23 21:51:56 UTC 2006

  Hi,

  Leaving aside the non-trivial issue of spurious license tagging, it is great
that we are increasingly getting our unfree-copyrighted content identified.
We're still left with a lot of images that are not album covers, logos,
screenshots, etc. but are labelled with either the deprecated Fair use template
or the newer Fairusein template.

  I suggest that if we are feeling ready for a new initiative in the cleanup
process, that we expand the image criteria for speedy deletion again.  Adding
"Any image that claims to be fair use without a complete "fair use rationale"
per Wikipedia:Image use policy tagged with a template that places them in the
category "No rationale" for more than 7 days, regardless of when uploaded."

  The album covers, logos, etc. need proper rationales too, of course, but they
can be largely done from boilerplate.  The effect would be to remove unfree
images that nobody is willing to defend at roughly the same rate at which we
remove images with no source information.

  I suspect that, if put to a policy straw poll, the idea would be unpopular;
images at Images and media for deletion that are nominated for having no
rationale often attract a majority of keep votes.

  Thoughts?

           Jkelly