[WikiEN-l] Don't remove a WP:OFFICE tag put there by Danny

Brian Dotson brianwdotson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:56:37 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:<snip>

> Additionally, if you review the sorts of things that are done to deal
> with complaints, they are almost all done in a very routine way.  We are
> most often assisting people who don't know about Wikipedia in doing
> things that they could do for themselves.
>
> And: nothing about the WP:OFFICE policy allows for permanent protection
> of any article.  The actions taken are *temporary* to allow time to sort
> things out which appear to be particularly serious.  Characterizing this
> as "going over the heads of editors" is wildly inaccurate.
>
> >>3. Actions listed above by Foundation staff are sometimes marked by
> >>WP:OFFICE and any interference with such actions by any editor can
> >>lead to revokation of editing/sysop rights.
>
> And many other actions undertaken by various members of the community
> are marked in a number of different ways, and any interference with such
> actions by any editor can lead to a revokation of editing/sysop rights.
> This is not unusual, this is not *contra* the community, this is *part
> of* the community process.

<snip>

As a site question: If the WMF makes itself available to arbitrate and be a
judge of article content, isn't the Foundation making itself liable for
*all* content on Wikipedia? In effect, by judging the content of one article
and placing it under WP:OFFICE protection, doesn't the Foundation open
itself up to litigation by other parties involving other content?

I'm no lawyer, that's why I'm confused and a bit concerned about this. And I
apologize if this was answered elsewhere in this thread; it's getting quite
long and unwieldy.

--
Brian W. Dotson
Website: http://bdotson.us