[WikiEN-l] Don't remove a WP:OFFICE tag put there by Danny

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 17 20:04:22 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>And: nothing about the WP:OFFICE policy allows for permanent protection
>of any article.  The actions taken are *temporary* to allow time to sort
>things out which appear to be particularly serious.  Characterizing this
>as "going over the heads of editors" is wildly inaccurate.

Is it a sign of aging when I see some attitudes as indicative of impatience?

It sometimes seems that any "temporary" solution is unacceptable to some
people.  To me any such yellow flag merely says, "We're taking our time
on this to make sure we get it right."  For some speedy deletions seem
to always imply a high degree of urgency.  It's as though if they lost
the opportunity to delete something now they might never get that
opportunity again.

Leadership can be an awkward role in an anarchistic community.  I can
appreciate the importance of broad community decisions, but would expect
those who want a role in decisions to do so reponsibly, and consider all
aspects of an issue before arriving at a mutually satisfactory result.
More often a few community members are determined to make an
in-your-face defence of their views of the situation, while most want no
part of the confrontation.  Or they often argue that something has
become part of policy, because there was no overt opposition or
discussion when they made the proposal.

Others look for certainty in the advice that they receive, and they
interpret suggestions as hard-wired policy.  Rather than accept an
evasive answer that tells them to use their own judgement, they prefer
the kind of certainty that is offered by those who have a narrow outlook
on what should be done.

There are two things required of a good leader
    1. He must make all the decisions
    2. He must make none of the decisions

Ec