[WikiEN-l] Letters to the Editor of the NY Times

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 20:32:22 UTC 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/business/yourmoney/19back.html?_r=1&oref=login

Writing for Wikipedia

To the Editor:

Re "Anonymous Source Is Not the Same as Open Source" (Digital Domain,
March 12), in which Randall Stross said the online encyclopedia
Wikipedia suffered from credibility issues:

Having perused and occasionally contributed to articles in Wikipedia
in my field of expertise — Hispanic languages, literature and culture
— what has impressed me has been the general accuracy of the material
presented, as well as the obvious conscientiousness of a number of the
contributors. Rather than simply criticize Jimmy Wales, the founder of
Wikipedia, one should applaud his welcome to all who are willing to
accept the principle of objectivity in their contributions, regardless
of credentials.

In my professional life, I have seen respected journals with a good
deal less sense of responsibility, particularly when it comes to
contributors with imposing credentials. Obviously, Wikipedia does have
a problem with respect to "vandalism": for example, the clown who
inserted "Yo quiero Taco Bell" in the article dealing with the Spanish
philosopher and novelist Miguel de Unamuno, but for the most part such
things are easy to spot and correct. Albert Soletsky

Teaneck, N.J., March 12

The writer is an associate professor of languages at Fairleigh
Dickinson University.