[WikiEN-l] Retrieving article deleted for NN

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 22:15:56 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was one of those people who voted to delete this article and I stand by
> the vote although I sympathise with you.
>
> You could go to Deletion review. However, I suggested in the discussion that
> the subject could warrant a brief mention on the University of Melbourne
> article. However, unless it had members who went on to have notable musical
> careers or had some other form of impact on the wider world, I don't think
> it warrants a standalone article.

Hello,
  I appreciate the votes of sympathy here :)  Honestly, though, I've
been surprised that that article stood as long as it did. When I've
been considering notability on other things, I've always thought "but
hang on, *that* article is there...".  I really don't disagree with
the deletion in anyway...it's a shame, but I don't disagree. Sort of
like when the vet says your pet dog should be put down, I guess.

I think in this case it might be worth creating a University of
Melbourne Clubs and Societies article, because I could mount a genuine
case that the C&S at U of M actually *are* notable as a group.

Hmm...now, re-reading the article (thanks very much Ben), I'm
wondering if the club *isn't* notable, as a community music group,
rather than as a university society. It's true, societies are a dime a
dozen. But community music groups that anyone can join (it's open to
non-students) are rare, and there can't be many of this size (around
200 members). *thinking music*

Steve