[WikiEN-l] [WikiEn-l] Image tagging followup

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 18:33:31 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:

> Mark Wagner wrote:
>

> Here's a thought - "fair use" images need to go through a review process
> *before* uploading, sort of like featured articles. If the "fair use image
> candidate" gets through the process, then it can be recorded and we don't
> have to fight about it anymore.

I have reservations about this.  Fair use is a grey area legally - it's a
permissible violation of copyright.  If we had a formal review process,
might that not make the project more liable if we get it wrong?  In
addition, if we make fair use more difficult, then we are likely to get
people tagging images with free tags.  If they are tagged as fair use, a lot
of obvious violations show up.  On the other hand, if it's mis-tagged as
{{GFDL}}, we'd really have to go to the source.

I would rather make it a requirement that the uploader list a source or the
name of the copyright holder.  Lots of images don't have a source clearly
marked, and don't have information about the copyright holder.  How can we
even hope to verify licensing if we don't know who holds the copyright (or
at worst, where it came from)

Ian