[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 15:10:44 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think, as a guideline (rather than Official Policy), we should
> indicate what recommended options are for editors:
>
> 1. When making contributions, provide a reference.
> 2. If you see information that you believe needs a reference, your
> options include:
> a) Finding one (best)
> b) Failing that, either:
>   1) Tagging with {{citation needed}}
>   2) Moving unreferenced material to talk page with note asking for reference
>   3) Asking editor who contributed material to provide a reference
>   4) Removing the information

I would be tempted to express it as an ascending scale of doubt over
accuracy, neutrality etc:
1 (least doubt): leave it
2 Ask for reference on talk page
3 Tag with {{citation needed}}
4 Remove to talk page
5 (certain that it's rubbish) Remove totally

Step 5 would be reserved effectively for vandalism

Steve