[WikiEN-l] The new verifiability policy

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 1 20:34:27 UTC 2006

Slim Virgin wrote

> Realistically, when is this a problem, Charles? I confess to being
> bewildered when people complain about the need to find sources. If
> their edit is correct, why can't they source it?

This point comes round once in a while on this list.

It depends very much what field one is talking about, what the division is
between knowledge thtat is fully documented, and the matters that remain as
'folklore'.

I don't think it is at all safe to generalise, and say that in all fields,
everything significant is there in a published source.  I wonder who exactly
is in a position to say that.

For example, plenty of music theory must exist in this sort of 'limbo'.
It's just not going to be true that jazz harmony is limited to what one can
find in the books.

Charles