[WikiEN-l] Categories for deletion/discussion issues

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 29 18:04:17 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

> On 7/29/06, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
>
>> > Pop? Isn't that what you do to bubble wrap?
>> >
>> > Coke? Isn't that a fuel made from heating coal in the absence of
>> air, or
>> > a slang term for cocaine?
>>
>> Soda?  Do you mean baking soda or the nonalcoholic part of scotch &
>> soda?
>
> I can't think of any other interpretations of "soft drink".

All it fundamentally means is something non-alcoholic, as in the
opposite of "hard drink". Lemonade can be a soft drink (unless of course
it's hard lemonade), but it doesn't qualify as pop or soda. As with
freeway/motorway/etc., there is no single satisfactory term that both
includes all that should be included, and excludes all that should be
excluded. If you want to say carbonated non-alcoholic flavo(u)red
beverage with absolute precision, that's what you have to say.

--Michael Snow