[WikiEN-l] Categories for deletion/discussion issues

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 04:26:16 UTC 2006

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2006 at 20:41, Alphax wrote:
>
>> ScottL wrote:
>>> It has a map showing the geographic distribution of pop vs soda vs coke
>>> vs. other (usually soft drink).
>> Pop? Isn't that what you do to bubble wrap?
>>
>> Coke? Isn't that a fuel made from heating coal in the absence of air, or
>> a slang term for cocaine?
>
> Soda?  Do you mean baking soda or the nonalcoholic part of scotch &
> soda?

Soda
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soda may mean:

    * A chemical compound containing sodium
          o Sodium carbonate (washing soda or soda ash)
          o Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
          o Sodium carbonate decahydrate
          o Sodium hydroxide (caustic soda)
          o Sodium oxide
    * Carbonated water (soda water)
    * Soda (comic strip)
    * Soda bread
    * Soft drink

By far the most common use of the term (and the oldest use) is "a
chemical compound containing sodium", eg. "baking soda" (sodium
bicarbonate). As I commented previously on the term "diet soda",

> You can get non-low-calorie sodium compounds?

The "soda" in "scotch and soda" is soda water; carbonated water with
sodium bicarbonate and other minerals in it.

The insistence of USians to call carbonated non-alcoholic flavoured
beverages "soda" is incredibly narrow minded and is one of the reasons
the US is fighting (and losing) two wars at the moment; the whole world
hates you for your self-imposed ignorance and arrogance.