[WikiEN-l] Tech help: Video format conversion

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 01:12:13 UTC 2006

On 7/22/06, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:
> All of this is very interesting (and believe it or not, I'm not being
> sarcastic).  However, can anyone actually help convert these SWFs?  I've
> installed ffmpeg2theora, but that seems to only change the question to
> "how do I convert a SWF to MPEG2?"

You can use xvidcap to record the running SWF under linux. The convert
the result to Theora.  ... I dont think the image quality of these
SWF's are great to begin with, but the result seems okay:

http://myrandomnode.dyndns.org/pics/video_test.ogg

If you want, and confirm for me that the copyright on these are
kosher, I'll go ahead and convert the rest.

Really I suspect we could just recreate them and get better resutlts
than working with these SWFs, but as long as the copyright is okay ..
It turns out that they are easy enough to convert.