[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 23:48:32 UTC 2006

> On 7/21/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> We have people that work on submitting photos of cars? Where?  I
> didn't even think we were doing so well as to have dedicated subject
> area photographers, with only a few exceptions.

I've taken photos of a great number of cars for Wikipedia, but frankly
I got a little burned out by it.  Partly because of the number of
times I've seen someone remove my picture or someone else's freely
licensed picture in favor of a dubiously 'fair use' manufacturer's
promo photo.

I've even been quite bitched out by some people for even suggesting
that we should prefer user-contributed and freely-licensed pictures -
because user photos are 'unprofessional-looking' and might represent
the vehicle in a poor light because they don't show it perfect and
factory new.

I'm an old-time editor, and know these people are wrong and full of
crap.  It just tires me.  But imagine how a newcomer might feel.

> > An unfriendly culture? Hadn't noticed that myself.
>
> There can be no doubt after you've submitted a free photo only to have
> it replaced with an unfree photo that someone likes better... and
> being left to battle it out. :)   We're too quick to acknowledge the
> work of someone who uploads a lot of found on the web, but too slow
> the recognize the work that goes into a quality piece of custom made
> work.

Exactly what I just said above ...  and it's a very valid and very
real problem ...

> Yes, photography represents a sharp upfront investment and we don't
> respect it accordingly because we're too oriented around folks who
> provide images by operating google image search.

<AOL>

> Today, we grab free images from sites like Flikr and don't even
> contact the photographer... What a tremendous opportunity to bring in
> more photographers. But it seems that, as a whole, Wikipedia is not
> that interested in attracting photographers.

Whenever I use a photographer's work from Flickr or anywhere else
(CC-licensed, etc) I try and leave a comment on their photo.
Generally it's much appreciated.

I think a big mistake in our Flickr-sifting efforts is that we provide
no feedback to those whose photos we use.  Perhaps just because it's
easier not to or something, but comments are encouragement, and people
who free-license stuff generally like to hear that stuff is
appreciated.

-Matt