[WikiEN-l] Uploading images should be a privilige, not a right

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri Jul 21 22:45:30 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>We have people that work on submitting photos of cars? Where?  I
>didn't even think we were doing so well as to have dedicated subject
>area photographers, with only a few exceptions.

There's been a whole slew on commons recently, I'm sure some haven't
made it to en: articles yet. It's still pretty easy to go through a
random commons gallery or category and find dozens of en: articles
not using the pictures already there.

>>An unfriendly culture? Hadn't noticed that myself.
>>

>There can be no doubt after you've submitted a free photo only to have
>it replaced with an unfree photo that someone likes better... and
>being left to battle it out. :)

I don't recall that ever happening to me - it would be infuriating.
"Oops sorry, just a coincidence that I permablocked you and
reverted all your edits right after you replaced my image..." :-)

>I don't disagree about the resource challenges... But the fact remains
>that there are many thousands of people submitting photos to flikr or
>contest sites like dpchallenge
>(http://www.dpchallenge.com/challenge_archive.php).  Obviously there
>are folks out there who *are* taking pictures, we need to pull them
>into the fold and get them taking pictures we need licensed in a way
>that we can use. :)

Good point! Have we ever actually asked? Perhaps we could start by
making a public statement - it's only very recently that Google has
even indexed any of our images, so I imagine that few people even
know we have a free image repository, let alone that they can
contribute to it.

Stan