[WikiEN-l] fancruft

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jul 20 10:27:41 UTC 2006

G'day Guettarda,

> It's nice to be able to find out what you've missed when you walk in
> half-way through an episode of 24, but it's a complete policy
> violation...

There are all sorts of reasons why our traditional approach to pop
culture is Really Super-Awesome or The Absolute Worst Thing About Us,
but "because it's a complete policy violation" ranks somewhere down near
infinity ...

Policy has its uses (for instance, brow-beating process wonks who refuse
to do the Right Thing unless it's written down in legalese and they get
a receipt in triplicate), but wringing one's hands and worrying about
whether you're living up to its demands is useless and, fortunately,
unnecessary.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"But the visibility was very poor, and you yourself admit that you were