[WikiEN-l] Ken Lay's death prompts confusion on Reuters

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 12:32:39 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> True, but not getting breaking news wrong in the first twenty four
> hours should be.

We allow people to add whatever information they want, whenever they
want. Any problems arising from people finding incorrect information
on Wikipedia in the minutes after a major event are really a question
of PR: people should not be expecting accurate information at
Wikipedia so soon.

> Maybe a guideline that new information shouldn't be added for a week
> or two unless it is necessary to correct something old (adding in a
> date of death, for instance).  The guideline could be part of a
> template, which includes a link to the wikinews story, for those who
> want to participate in such things.

I dunno. Reporting Ken Lay's death immediately seems right to me. But
readers should be warned that it could be inaccurate. Our goal is an
accurate encyclopaedia long term. Putting information that is
half-accurate *now* is working towards that goal. Refraining from
adding the information is not.

Steve