[WikiEN-l] Ken Lay's death prompts confusion on Reuters

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jul 18 20:42:10 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Wikipedia should be getting its facts *more* correct than the news
> > outlets, not less.  I remember a similar mess after the death of
> > [[Jean Charles de Menezes]].  Wikipedia articles repeated
> > unsubstantiated rumor as though it was fact.
>
> Nah, we don't do news. Getting breaking news right in the first twenty
> four hours is not in our mission.

True, but not getting breaking news wrong in the first twenty four
hours should be.

Maybe a guideline that new information shouldn't be added for a week
or two unless it is necessary to correct something old (adding in a
date of death, for instance).  The guideline could be part of a
template, which includes a link to the wikinews story, for those who
want to participate in such things.

It'd be a win-win for Wikipedia and Wikinews.

Anthony