[WikiEN-l] Joke

Abigail Brady morwen at evilmagic.org
Mon Jul 17 16:18:23 UTC 2006

On 7/11/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Much humour involves some kind of offense to a particular group of people.
> It is a very difficult issue, someone will complain regardless of who is
> targeted. I do believe, however, that examples of jokes are necessary to an
> article about jokes (perhaps a couple of audio clips in which famous
> comedians deliver a joke or two). An article about novels will contain the
> names of many novels, this not being the case would strike most as odd.
>
> Are there any extremely widely known offensive jokes such that their
> documentation by us wouldn't be offensive to anyone?

Often with racist jokes we get the same jokes repeated over and over
with different targets.  So in order to document racist jokes we could
just give one of these patterns, with [INSERT NATIONALITY HERE],
perhaps.  Where we are trying to demonstrate playing on /specific/
stereotypes this might be trickier.

--
Abi