[WikiEN-l] POV nomenclature

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:37:09 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:

> stevertigo wrote:
>
> >Current issues, include the inclusion of the term "Operation Just
> Desserts" in the
> >[[2006 Israeli-attacks on Lebanon]] article in the lede. Likewise the
> article
> >[[Operation Summer Rains]] also a military, hence POV nomenclature and
> hence needs
> >renaming, though I cannot myself determine what to call it.
> >Is it an "incursion" (ie. "a limited incursion into the country of
> Congress") or an
> >"invasion", a "retaliation" or a "retribution" etc.
> >
> If it's an official name, then that's what it's called. What's next,
> renaming articles on companies and products because their names were
> chosen to have positive associations? We could have such winners as
> "[[computer company named after irrelevant fruit]] is the maker of
> the [[Apple variety chosen because the name has a snappy abbreviation]]."
>
> Stan

Well, the problem with military campaigns and wars is that they tend to be
named differently by different sides.  [[Great Patriotic War]] redirects to
[[Eastern Front (World War II)]] and [[Operation Desert Storm]] redirects to
[[Gulf War]].  Using one side's terminology is most decidedly non-neutral,
because it amounts to an endorsement of one side's view of the events.

On the other hand, [[Operation Overlord]] uses the terminology correctly
(IMO):

*:Operation Overlord* was the code word for the Allied
operational<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_operation>plan to
invade Continental Europe in the summer of 1944"

Describe the POV, don't endorse it...

Ian