[WikiEN-l] Borderline notable bios (yes, again)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jul 13 02:32:52 UTC 2006

Andrew Gray wrote:
> [[en:Japanese Wikipedia]]
>
> Basically, if you're not a "public figure" (which seems to be defined
> quite narrowly - perhaps in a similar way to the Western defamation
> definition?), *you don't get named* at all, much less have an article
> on you. I'm not a public figure. Angela's not a public figure. Daniel
> Brandt's not a public figure. You probably are, and so's Xeni, but
> there's the cutoff, I guess.

Empirically, it doesn't seem to be quite as strict as the defamation of
"public figure".  It seems that there are broad classes of activity that
by default are considered to make you worth having an article on jp:.
To pick just one example, basically every sports player ever to play in
some professional league, regardless of public notability or even
notability within the sport, seems to be fair game for an article,
simply by virtue of the fact that they were a sports player in some
professional league.

-Mark