[WikiEN-l] Borderline notable bios (yes, again)

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Jul 13 01:32:03 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> > Andrew Gray wrote:
> > > There are times that I think adopting the rule jp.wiki has on
> > > biographies would be a damn good idea...
> >
> > AH!!!!! Please tell us!  I love cross-cultural wikipedia differences.
>
> [[en:Japanese Wikipedia]]
>
> Basically, if you're not a "public figure" (which seems to be defined
> quite narrowly - perhaps in a similar way to the Western defamation
> definition?), *you don't get named* at all, much less have an article
> on you. I'm not a public figure. Angela's not a public figure. Daniel
> Brandt's not a public figure. You probably are, and so's Xeni, but
> there's the cutoff, I guess.

I'd say Wikipedia definitely shouldn't have an article on a person who
isn't a public figure, or at least a "limited public figure".  But
then again, I'd think (though IANAL) that Angela does qualify as at
least a limited public figure in the context of her work on Wikimedia,
a public charity.  By voluntarily choosing to become a board member,
Angela put herself into the public spotlight.  Her resignation doesn't
negate that, at least not for the story of Angela which takes place up
until her resignation is effective.

Of course, maybe I just have no clue what it means to be a "public
figure".  I'd welcome any correction on this matter, either in the
form of citations of legal decisions or in the form of expert
opinions.

Anthony