[WikiEN-l] Borderline notable bios (yes, again)

Rob gamaliel8 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 23:28:30 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically, if you're not a "public figure" (which seems to be defined
> quite narrowly - perhaps in a similar way to the Western defamation
> definition?), *you don't get named* at all, much less have an article
> on you. I'm not a public figure. Angela's not a public figure. Daniel
> Brandt's not a public figure. You probably are, and so's Xeni, but
> there's the cutoff, I guess.

"Probably"?  If you make the Time 100 anything, you're a public
figure.  There's no gray area.

Brandt is a public figure because, among other reasons, he's been
interviewed by or featured in The New York Times about a half dozen
times, and he's not only done this willingly (as opposed to being
sucked into a news controversy like Brian Chase), he's courted it
through press releases and other means.