[WikiEN-l] Arbcom Committee announcement

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Jan 24 15:50:36 UTC 2006

Snowspinner wrote:
> On a more serious note, are we just expanding the size of the
> committee, or are we also changing the rules so that the same vote
> totals are required? Requiring things to cross three more people's
> desks seems to me to do nothing to speed up business. Quite the
> opposite. Can we perhaps change to, say, five net support votes
> required or a majority, whichever is less?

Traditionally it is up to the ArbCom to set their own internal rules of
procedure, but I do absolutely recommend that adding members should not
_slow down_ the process but rather _speed up_ the process.  Adding
members without changing the necessary quorum seems reasonable.

One thing we know: ArbCom members are dedicated volunteers but they are
of course volunteers and therefore real life has to take precedence at
times -- so ArbCom members often go inactive for periods of time.
Having more members should ensure smoother functioning and fewer times
when we're really beating the bushes to get cases closed.

--Jimbo