[WikiEN-l] Admin meeting

Jay Converse supermo0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 01:24:33 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> > > No we should try and keep things as open as posible.
> > >
> > > --
> > > geni

> public.
>
> Two good reasons such a mailling list should be kept private:
>
> 1. Admin A posts to the list "User X is being disruptive. What do I do?"
> 2. ADmin B posts to the list "I need a sanity check. User Y has done
> this, & I plan on acting thusly. Comments please."
>
> Reasons:
>
> * No one wants to admit in public that they're clueless.
> * People are more likely to admit that they'rewrong in private.
> * Sometimes a person just needs a vote of confidence to handle a
> troublemaker.
>
> I don't see any of this happening if such a list were archived in public.

#wikipedia and #wikipedia-en technically serves that function, but I've
found that #wikipedia's more interested in what's on television (nothing
wrong with off-topic chat, but sometimes it'd be nice to get a quick answer
in there) and #wikipedia-en is kind of a barren deadzone.
#wikipedia-en-vandalism has been my most reliable source of help recently,
but very few regulars in there appear to be regulars in the other
channels...  Just a thought.

--
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.