[WikiEN-l] Admin meeting

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 23:16:39 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> Two good reasons such a mailling list should be kept private:
>
> 1. Admin A posts to the list "User X is being disruptive. What do I do?"
> 2. ADmin B posts to the list "I need a sanity check. User Y has done
> this, & I plan on acting thusly. Comments please."
>
> Reasons:
>
> * No one wants to admit in public that they're clueless.
> * People are more likely to admit that they'rewrong in private.
> * Sometimes a person just needs a vote of confidence to handle a
> troublemaker.
>
> I don't see any of this happening if such a list were archived in public.

We see those kind of posts all the time on AN/I

> As for the worry that an admin list might be abused to form a cabal to
> gain control of Wikipedia for its own nefarous ends -- I dunno what those
> would be, maybe enforce a political litmus test on articles or replace
> all uses of BC/AD with CE/BCE -- this could be accomplished right now
> with an offline, private mailing list.
>
> And if this hasn't been attempted yet, then I'm wrong in thinking that
> there are some people out there smarter than me.
>
> Geoff

Oh it's been tried. However sooner or latter someone finds out about
it and informs the community. Once that happens it can be isolated and
nutrilised. A bit harder to do with a formaly sanctioned list. The
contense of such a list could not be kept secret anyway so it would be
a misstake even to try.

--
geni