[WikiEN-l] Re: Ads on Wikipedia

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Jan 2 12:58:20 UTC 2006

On 1/2/06, Lisa Thurston <lisathurston at gmail.com> wrote:
> No I'm not suggesting that, Peter. I'm suggesting that, if Wikipedia was
> genuinely threatened with collapse because of money issues, donations, both
> corporate and personal would naturally flow in because they know how
> important it is.

The collapse of Wikipedia would hurt the companies reusing its
product.  But that's not how it's likely to play out.  First Wikipedia
will slow down and become less reliable, and that slowdown will only
*help* the reusers because it'll shift traffic to their sites.  It's
also somewhat of a self-correcting problem, because the shift of
readers off Wikipedia and onto the mirrors will lighten the load.

Anthony