[WikiEN-l] Re: Ads on Wikipedia

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 2 07:44:51 UTC 2006

I have really thought about it:
1. If commercial enterprises can get it for free, they will.
2. If they have to pay a lot of money, enough to fund WP, then they might as
well start up their own similar operation and have control.

Perhaps what you are really suggesting is some form of sponsorship or
partnership deal.

What I like is your idea of making it easy to donate, by giving Australians
(and others) the ability to deduct donations from their tax. That would
help.

Another possibility is to go the route that BookCrossing.com and
NaNoWriMo.org go, namely to provide some sort of on-screen recognition. In
the case of BookCrossers, little golden wings appear each side of their
screen-name for a month. NaNoWriMos get golden halos.

Peter, fluttering his wings and flashing his halo