[WikiEN-l] Main Page Featured Article

Kusma kusma.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 14:04:39 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> > If nothing else, this indicates another reason why nested-
> > transclusion is problematic, and why complexity like this ought
> > perhaps to be avoided.  (But of course this observation does
> > nothing to solve the current problem.)
>
> True!
>
> Perhaps a solution would be a sort of reverse whatlinkshere, showing
> all the pages that are transcluded by a page so that they can all be
> protected.  Time-limited protection would also be useful here, but I
> doubt this mitigates the disadvantages in other areas.

The pages transcluded are already shown at the bottom of the edit page.

I think we should have an additional feature (let's call it
[[Special:Recentchangestranscluded]]) that shows all changes to
templates used on an article (all levels of transclusion). Then we
could easily spot the offending change and revert, block and ignore
the vandal as quickly as we do for regular FA vandalism. The problem
is not that penis vandalism happens on a page linked to from the Main
Page (we are used to that, and do not protect the FA of the day), it
is that finding out what exactly has happened and reverting it takes
too long. We just have to make it easy to figure out how to revert the
vandalism.

Kusma