[WikiEN-l] Office actions

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Dec 15 15:29:16 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
> Earle Martin wrote:
>> In this case, it was an "office action", which appears to generally
>> equate to "putting stuff in the memory hole".
>>
>> Is it Foundation policy to hide official decisions of the Foundation?
>> Or is it Danny policy? Either way, it appears that the management of
>> this project is asymptotically approaching that of the Open[sic]
>> Directory Project.
>>

> That's grounds for moderation, citizen.

I don't think Earle needs to be put on moderation, I think Earle needs a
big hug.

Earle, I can tell you that nothing is approaching anything like the Open
Directory Project.  Is there a problem that WP:OFFICE articles have
tended to sit there in the "wrong version" for too long, and that good
editors are unsure how to proceed?

Absolutely.

But that's a problem that everyone wants to fix in an open, transparent,
and loving way.  It is not very helpful to accuse Danny or the
Foundation of any sort of "memory hole" policies or of becoming closed
like the ODP.

Please, let's all always move forward by assuming good faith.  Good
people, trying to do a good thing for the world, balancing many complex
and competing concerns.  It's a complex mess.  That's because the world
is a complex mess.  We're all doing our best here.

--Jimbo