[WikiEN-l] MONGO and the ArbCom

Rob gamaliel8 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 18:24:46 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Puppy <puppy at killerchihuahua.com> wrote:
> NSLE: I suggest you reconsider your position with this in mind - your
> name is almost certainly not NSLE or Chacor. I know my r/w name is not
> KillerChihuahua. The majority of Wikipedians and Wikipedia
> administrators do not contribute under their real names, and for good
> reason. The same logic which makes using a "handle" on Wikipedia in
> general a Good Idea also applies here.

No, it's hardly the same thing.  Editors on wikipedia are not
anonymous, they are pseudonymous.  They build up a track record of
contributions which can be checked by anyone and they earn the respect
of the community with their work.  I may not know the real name of a
pseudonymous editor, but that is a pretty meaningless bit of
information in Wikipedia-land compared to an editor's history and
reputation.  While no one is expecting complaints to come notarized
with a copy of your passport, it is not unreasonable to weigh a
complaint on the basis of the complainer's willingness to stand behind
it and put their WP "reputation on the line", as Jimbo put it.