[WikiEN-l] 2 Questions for Jimbo about WP:OFFICE and things that aren't labeled WP:OFFICE.

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Apr 23 23:39:31 UTC 2006

On 4/22/06, John Tex <johntexster at gmail.com> wrote:
> JimboWales said:
> >Since WP:OFFICE is done publicly and under intense scrutiny from the
> >community and the external world, I hardly see any need for a special
> >narrow committee to be specifically tasked with overseeing it.
>
> It seems that this was not true in this particular case.  Danny did not add
> the WP:OFFICE tag.  There was every indication that it was not an office
> action.  If it was a WP:OFFICE action, why did Danny not tag it as such?
>
> >What should people do when they see a WP:OFFICE action?  Treat it as a
> >call for attention from the absolute best within ourselves, the absolute
> >best within our community.
>
> That makes perfect sense but again there was originally no indication this
> was a WP:OFFICE action.  So, the question I think many of us want answered
> is, "What should people do when they see something appears to NOT be an
> office action"?
>
> Johntex

Combining this with the discussion of defamation, and Wikitruth, maybe
there is a simple solution.  Give Danny and other agents of Wikimedia
special powers which can't be overridden by admins.  Let them protect
pages in a way that they can't be unprotected by admins, and let them
delete defamatory information, copyright violations, and other legally
problematic material, permanently, in a way that the information can't
even be read by admins.

Any idea how hard it would be to implement such a thing, Brion?

Anthony