[WikiEN-l] Wikitruth

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Apr 20 08:22:43 UTC 2006

G'day Pete,

> Kirill Lokshin wrote: "...to an openly anti-Wikipedia site"
>
>> From
>> http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Wikitruth:Editing_guidelines
>
> "some amazing people are working behind the scenes and in the front
> lines over there [i.e. at Wikipedia], putting in the hours to make a
> difference and make Wikipedia better. [...] We wouldn't have this
> site if we didn't respect and love the concept of a Wikipedia. It's
> the implementation we have issues with."
>
> I believe them when they say they are pro-Wikipedia. I've been
> astonished by how many Wikipedians are unwilling to be open to
> criticism (one of the essential elements of a cult by the way :) !) I
> don't agree with their vehemence of the opposition to WP:OFFICE. But
> anyone who's been following this debate about Erik and Danny will
> realise its implementation has been completely ham-fisted at times.
> So disagree with Wikitruth, and prove it wrong, but don't lie about
> it.

I agree with you: this is just Wikipolitics by other means, as opposed
to the straight anti-Wikipedia bizzo peddled by Britannica (through
fear) or Brandt (through sheer kookiness).

I wouldn't describe what Kirill said as a "lie", though.  It's a fairly
easy mistake to make, especially given the poisonous content of some
articles (like the silly thing about Jimbo's daughter, or the hate
shrines to certain admins).  WikiTruth may not be anti-Wikipedia, but
it's definitely anti-Wikipedian.

> Endnote: Yes they did copy an article about a member of Jimbo's
> family that lingered in the database for several days. I am glad they
> are embarassed about that and have deleted it. Makes their
> motivations more believeable.

I, too, am glad that they deleted the article, and I agree that it makes
them just a smidgeon more credible ... as credible as a group who plan
to upload articles known to be defamatory, going out of their way to
hurt innocent people because they want to mock Wikipedia.

Keep in mind, however, what they replaced the article about Jimbo's
daughter with:

   When one of our staff threw up a bunch of deleted pages, they
   included one on Kira Wales. Not because they were particularly
   targeting the little angel, but because they just were throwing
   stuff up on this site willy-nilly. We just found it here, and
   removed it. Apologies to King Jimbo for pulling his little
   princess into the mudfight. Won't happen again.

"his little princess", etc., etc.  Even when they're trying to do the
right thing they can't resist being dicks.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"