[WikiEN-l] Georgia/Victoria

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 10:54:16 UTC 2006

On 17/04/06, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
> I would find it very odd that something named after something else
> should ever get priority.
>
> However obscure the original is, like Camembert, or Jethro Tull, I
> think it should be at the article place. (Actually Jethro Tull is
> now a dab page).

Ok, so you're in favour of us making a judgment about which page
"deserves" the title as the main article? Personally, I feel that this
is the more "encyclopaedic" road. The alternative, prioritising the
page that most visitors/editors visit/expect, is the more "pragmatic"
road.

To me, the fact that "Camembert" pulls up a stub article on an
entirely unremarkable commune in France is surprising. Perhaps a
similar surprise to that that would be experienced by Americans
visiting "Georgia" and finding the birthplace of Stalin. The question
is, is this surprise good or bad?

Alternatively put, is Wikipedia bound by the principle of least surprise?

Steve