[WikiEN-l] Two proposals against wheel warring

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 12 14:33:15 UTC 2006

"Ilmari Karonen" wrote

> Anyway, your input and policymaking skills are appreciated.  Let's get
> this thing done.

What 'thing'?

The thing that people seem to think about is rationing the use of admin
powers.  I'm against that.

If the basic issue is admins in conflict, who can't be bothered to discuss a
difficult issue with each other as colleagues, then such proposals don't
really solve that.  I say that a lack of consultation, admin-to-admin, is a
root cause of troubles.  Simply imposing rationing doesn't address that.

What is more, I'm fundamentally against equating 'edit wars' and 'wheel
wars'.  From an ArbCom point of view, we handle edit wars very largely by
ignoring content issues.  We should not treat so-called 'wheel wars' in the
same way.  Admin actions are in protection of the project, and we need to
look, very much, at what motivations and interpretations are behind them.

Recent ArbCom judgements show (I hope) some consistency in my approach.  I
don't want admins to have, in effect, fewer powers.  I do want to treat lack
of consultation with admin colleagues as very serious.  And I would much
prefer to have 1% of the current admins lose all their powers, for abuses,
than have 100% of admins have restrictions placed on their discretion.

Charles