[WikiEN-l] Why voting *is* evil

Molu Bosu Palit loom91 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 12 06:31:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:17:01 -0700, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:

>They will presumably read Wikipedia in their first language. It's
>rather imperialist of us to presume that they should read the English
>language Wikipedia just because it's difficult for us to do
>translations--more imperialist, I dare say, than having [[Georgia]]
>as a disambiguation page.

  Your presumption is obviously wrong. My mother toungue is Bengali and Google offers its interface in Bengali, but I use the English interface because the Bengali version is of such a low quality. Similarly, the ENglish wikipedia is far better than Wikipedias in even those languages we do have a sizable one, so people will read it in English.

  Still, it's true that a large (possibly majority) portion of WIkipedia users are American. SO the question we need to ask is, is this Systemic Bias desirable? Should WIkipedia cater to the tastes of its majority of users or to the majority of its potential users? Do we seek to be usable for the global population or for the American population? It seems from previous discussions that there's no consensus on this issue.

  Molu