[WikiEN-l] request to Jimbo for out-of-process deletion of image

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:23:35 UTC 2006

Mark Gallagher wrote:
> G'day Tony,
>
>> On 4/3/06, Garion1000 <garion1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With this article using the other less offensive image
>>> [[Image:Kotori-Kan Vol 2.jpg]] would already be an improvement.
>> That is still a non-free image.  We do have at least two free images
>> that could be used to illustrate that article:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lolicon_comicbooks_sold_in_Japan_001.jpg
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lolicon_comicbooks_sold_in_Japan_002.jpg
>
> I don't get it.  What justification did the, ahem, good-faith editors
> use to argue that we needed fair-use close-ups of kiddie porn instead of
> the photograph (also, admittedly, of kiddie porn ... but more
> appropriate and tasteful, if that word can be applied here).

Geez, and here I am thinking you're only the 6th most active person in
#wikipedia... how could you have missed the discussion about it? I don't
see how a montage of magazine covers taken from a distance is more
offensive than a picture of a kid with her pants down...

Actually I think that the image on the article atm.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Final_Solution-chan.jpg) is a good
compromise. Not overtly offensive, and what's more it's free.

> My second question is: how on Earth did this shit ever get to be *legal*
> in Japan?  Some people are *really* sick.

There's an interesting discussion about that on [[m:bash]]. Search for
"losing powers"...