[WikiEN-l] extremely weak dispute resolution mechanisms

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 30 21:09:09 UTC 2005

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>On 11/27/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>

>> Good faith communication among admins is critical to this sort of thing.
>>
>> In such a case, NiceGuy should try to contact HardAss beforehand to get
>>agreement on the strategy.  Or _even better_, HardAss admins should seek
>>out NiceGuy admins and say to them "Look here, I've been bonking this
>>guy on the head for a bit, to minimal effect, but if you want to come in
>>and befriend him and try and turn him about, I'm happy to lay off."
>>

>True. How is it you always make such good points, Jimbo?
>Anyway, we should take caution that we don't keep the cycle going
>forever. If people "Newbie" is still spouting personal attacks after
>three warnings, they should be blocked with clear note in the reason
>field so fellow admins know what's going on. If someone is willing to
>unblock them, they should also make the effort to guide whoever they
>are unblocking on their way to being a good user.

The problem with this mindset is that it focuses on a punitive horizon
point.  The reference to three warnings suggests that you are focused on
what can go wrong rather than what can go right.  If NiceGuy is asked to
intervene he will know what to do without somebody looking over his
shoulder waiting for the unblock to go wrong.  Even the notes in the
reason field can poison the atmosphere.

Ec