[WikiEN-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Most read US newpaper blasts Wikipedia

J.F. de Wolff jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk
Wed Nov 30 19:12:32 UTC 2005

Keith and Fred are both suggesting things that make Wiki not Wiki,
but would work for a free online encyclopedia in the long run. Do we
want anonymous editors spamming their URLs all over, or writing
"poop" or "Andrew is gay" in major pages? It's not wiki to lock them
out, but we're writing an encyclopedia.

I have recently seen numerous instances where anonymous editors have
removed vandalism, often within 30 minutes (or even quicker) on pages
that are not especially popular. This means several things. This
means anons can contribute very constructively, but it also means
that our traffic has reached the point that pages are served so
often. I wouldn't expect every visitor to correct the vandalism
(figure of 1:6 comes to mind). Therefore, every epidosde of vandalism
is witnessed by countless visitors until a kind soul picks it off,
either through RC patrol, a Wikipedian with the article on his/her
watchlist, or said anonymous saint.

Fred is suggesting a para-wiki where arcticles are fact-checked
before they go live. I would like to propose that as soon as an
article reaches featured article status, it is semi-protected. Only
registered users (or even registered users with a good track record)
can edit those pages. Changes can be proposed on talk by anons and
then be effectuated by registered users. This will put an editing
funnel on our most prized content.

Jfdwolff