[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Nov 29 01:42:32 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2005, at 00:43, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> >>
> > So if 25 people spend 1 hour a week it'll take...less than a year.
> > The problem with this would be?
> >

> The other tens of thousands of images uploaded in the mean time. The
> fact that when people complain about removal of one non free image they
> point to others and say this hasnt gone yet why should mine go.

But, this person is specifically complaining about an image that was
uploaded years ago.  I could see deleting the tens of thousands of
images uploaded more recently first, though I think you're severely
exaggerating how many unfree images are going to be uploaded in the
next 44 weeks.  And you ignored the point about how many of those
images are by *unique individuals*.  There's no need to tell someone
who has already been told time and time again, but telling people at
least once (look, here's a list of images of yours we're going to
delete unless you add a tag) is the least that can be done.

> > Even if it's wasted effort 99% of the time (and I think this is a
> > gross exaggeration), what about at least notifying users who *are*
> > active, like, say, someone who currently serves on the board of the
> > foundation?
>
> How is anyone supposed to remember the usernames of everyone on the
> foundation and why do they expect to get special treatment? For a
> while we had some bot assisted notification for some classes of
> speedy delete; hopefully these will return soon if the bot bureaucracy
> can be overcome (er, performance improves). This particular deletion
> is not about this really, it is about communication of changing policies
> to people.
>
> Justinc

C'mon, if you're going to remember just three usernames, Anthere
should be one of them.  Does she deserve special treatment?  No,
that's not what I'm saying.  I'd expect the same treatment for any
active user, at the least.

Are there really admins who don't know who Anthere is?  I mean, I
don't know what I'm supposed to call her as her real name (just
noticed she signs her emails "Ant", but it feels strange calling her
that I guess in part 'cause that's what my family calls me), but,
anyway, I digress.

Anthony