[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Nov 29 00:43:28 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
> 20 000 images tagged as having no source information
> 5 000 images tagged as having no copyright information
> 8 000 images tagged as being "fair use", but unused in any article

And how many were by unique individuals?  It's not like someone can't
be notified about more than one image at the same time.

> If the administrator places a warning on the uploader's talk page, in
> addition to removing the image from articles where it's used, and
> waits a week to give the uploader a chance to respond, it takes over
> two minutes to delete an image.  This represents the additional time
> needed to check for responses on the user's talk page, check for
> for responses on the image description page and image talk page -- and
> 99% of the time, it's wasted effort, as the uploader has forgotten
> about Wikipedia entirely.  Total effort involved in cleaning up the
> problem images: 1100 man-hours.

So if 25 people spend 1 hour a week it'll take...less than a year.
The problem with this would be?

Even if it's wasted effort 99% of the time (and I think this is a
gross exaggeration), what about at least notifying users who *are*
active, like, say, someone who currently serves on the board of the
foundation?

> It's not as if efforts to notify people haven't been undertaken.  The
> policy change was announced on the WikiEn-L mailing list, on the
> administrators' noticeboard, on several Village Pump subpages, in the
> Signpost, and for several weeks everyone's watchlist had a note on the
> top informing them of the change.  The only thing that hasn't been
> done was individual notification on the talk pages of uploaders, and
> that's because there are almost 35000 problem images.
>
> --
> [[User:Carnildo]]

It's a big problem.  I don't see that as an excuse to not do things right.

Anthony