[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 19:06:33 UTC 2005

--- Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do not understand well how you make the difference between
> "unlicensed" and "licensed".
> Afaik, fair use is licensed. No tag is unlicensed. No ?

"Licensed" means the copyright holder has granted permission for the image to
be used in some way. We give an argument for "fair use" when we have a
compelling need to use an image which is not licensed freely. Strictly
speaking, the {{fairuse}} tag doesn't indicate any information about the
license at all, but it strongly implies that it is non-free, otherwise we'd
have marked it as being under a free license instead.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com