[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:38:08 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Given that images used on used pages are unlikely to end up in a DVD or
> a book, I seriously doubt who would suffer copyright infringement
> attacks for images hosted on community pages.

However the material on userpages does get reused. Why do you think
people have the big this is a wikipedia userpage tag on thier user
pages

> It strikes me as odd, that we authorize fair use on encyclopedic content
> (which is likely to be reused and to irritate copyright holders), while
> forbidding it on personal pages (where it is unlikely to be much troubles).

It's to do with wether the fair use claim is legit or not. It is
harder to establish a fair use claim for images on userpages

> Overall, our license issues strike me as being more confusing and messy
> every day that goes by.
>
> /me perplex

Simplified version

GFDL= fine
Some versionsof CC=fine
PD=fine
Fair use= maybe fine may not be. What you are seeing is only stage 2
of sorting out the situation
Wih permission (wikipedia only)=not allowed
noncomercial lisences.=Not allowed
Copyrighted no fair use= not allowed

There are some other odds and ends but the above covers the vast
majority of cases.

--
geni