[WikiEN-l] Re: Fwd: Google Alert - Wikipedia

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sat Nov 26 17:49:48 UTC 2005

> For those of you who were around when it kicked off... when it went
> live, was it intended to become a reference tool *on the web* like it
> has now, or was the web process intended to be somewhat less obvious
> than it became (a top-40 site, eek)? Open, yes, freely editable, yes,
> but a live "proper" encyclopedia from Year One?

I'm not much wikiolder than you are, but one observation I think I've
made is a relatively sudden decline in eventualist attitude in 2005.

In 2003 I think most if not all Wikipedians were still of the mindset
that yes, we want to be an encyclopedia, and yes, we know we're not
there yet and we have a long way to go, but we're confident that we'll
make it and we don't care how long it will take. Now in 2005 we suddenly
realise we've come way farther way quicker than we thought we would, and
in particular we are suddenly being used as an actual reference left and
right while at the same time being scrutinised (if not criticised) for
(lack of) accuracy and reliability. The mailing list threads that take
place regularly now about average article quality and readability, have
never occurred before 2005 (at least not with anywhere near this frequency).

I've become less active as a Wikipedian and I think it's because I liked
the eventualist atmosphere more. It gave us more room for mistakes, and
it allowed us to worry less and be more relaxed. I think eventualists
tend to assume good faith more, precisely because they are less worried
and more relaxed. The more someone worries about Wikipedia's quality or
reputation, the more likely they are to intervene vocally when they
perceive some change as detrimental, giving a somewhat higher chance of
generating an unpleasant environment.

Timwi