[WikiEN-l]@doctors.net.uk Fwd: Google Alert - Wikipedia

J.F. de Wolff jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 09:38:45 UTC 2005

Geoff mentions "cranks, kooks & partisans". Apart from being a
nuisance, these also destabilise perfectly fine articles. Number five
of Raul654's laws of Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Raul654/Raul%27s_laws) is that
articles with a strong consensus base are crashed into by
agenda-pushers. While the edit warring takes place, and the new
contributors are taught the importance of NPOV, original research and
verifiability, the articles look like a shambles and often remain
pockmarked by the attempts to accomodate fringe views.

While I have no immediate solution for this problem, this is
important issue that will need to be addressed. It is certainly a
massive waste of time for long-term dedicated contributors to be
warring with anons/newbies who think their pet theory should really
be mentioned, or that a featured article is {{totallydisputed}}. This
process does not bring quality to encyclopedia articles, it brings
mayhem. And the dispute resolution process is not geared for dealing
with it. For one thing, if I were to RFC every difficult POV-pusher
(let alone RFM or RFA), there would be no more time left to actually
work constructively on articles. Is this what we want?

User:Jfdwolff

PS I share Mav's observation that Wikipedia has grown in quantity and
certainly in quality over a surprisingly short period of time.