[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 14:46:10 UTC 2005

On 11/19/05, charles matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Tony Sidaway" wrote
>
> >The BBC uses it
>
> BBC World Service uses CI:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/worldservice/psims/ScheduleSDT.cgi?Pg=Co&Co=CI%3aCote%20D%27Ivoire%3a0%2d45
>
> so that's enough half-truths for the moment.

Excuse me, Charles. I've never, ever claimed that Cote d'Ivoire was
not also used as the name of the country by any part of the BBC, and
I'm sorry if you thought I was claiming that.  If you look more
closely at my email you will see that I was simply addressing a false
insinuation that the term "Ivory Coast" isn't also in common use.

I accept that the former term is sometimes used by some British sources.

Apologies if my contribution muddied the waters.  It was intended
solely to counter a blatant falsehood.

You write in another email: "What I object to is the hammering away at
''BBC uses IC'' as
if that is an argument."

It's actually a pretty good argument against the false claim that was
being advanced by one single person. I don't mistake that single
person's false claims for the substance of the argument in favor of
using the French name for the country instead of the English one.