[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 28, Issue 114

Craig Schiller craigbear at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 21:16:21 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I am very concerned about the attacks on blogs on Wikipedia given that
> the blogs under attack are clearly notable having received coverage in the
> mainstream media and with high levels
>
> I am working on updating WP:WEB to cover blogs. Hopefully, I will have draft
> criteria in place. Like it or not, blogs are becoming increasingly important
> in the media and we should ensure that we have decent coverage. If it is
> inspired by a two-bit organisation like GNAA that makes it even worse.
>
> I would welcome your input on the criteria and the information about the
> specific articles they have nominated. Members of the push would also be
> welcome.

Their hit list is directly available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Timecop/The_war_on_blogs. Redirects
also exist at WP:BLOGS and WP:BUTFUQ to give this the appearance of a
Wikipedia-sanctioned project.

Besides Timecop himself, the other sockpuppets I've identified so far are:
Femmina, JacksonBrown, impi.za, incognito, skrewler, Adamn, TedBerg,
Depakote, G0sp-hell and anon IPs 65.34.232.136, 86.2.56.178, and
70.240.91.19. Every one of these has virtually no edit history
whatsoever (or a history consisting of a handful edits at most) prior
to the launch of the blogwar. Some of their user pages even link
directly back to Timecop's blogwar master page; others actually try to
reassure us that they're not sockpuppets (which I might find touching,
except for the fact that their edit history is entirely consistent
with the sockpuppet thing.) This doesn't necessarily mean there aren't
others as well; these are just who I've identified so far.

There *are* some cases where I would personally also vote to delete if
there were actually a legitimate process going on, so I'm *not* just
targeting people who disagree with me...but as things currently stand,
casting a vote even when I happen to agree with the trolls would
simply be feeding them.

Craig