[WikiEN-l] AfD suggestions

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 16 15:27:10 UTC 2005

 "JAY JG" wrote

> >From: "charles matthews" <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>
>>
>>Certainly one of the current problems with AfD is what to make of users
>>who have been on WP for all of, say, 48 hours, and reckon that they have
>>an eye for articles they think should not be in the encyclopedia.
>
> And one the main problems AfD is meant to address is how to handle the
> articles created by users who have been on WP for all of 10 minutes and
> reckon that they have an eye for articles they think *should* be in the
> encyclopedia.

I don't give the symmetry much credence.  It's good if bad articles are
caught quickly, and deleted if they _really_ can't be cleaned up and
salvaged.  But it is unlikely that substandard articles, by their mere
existence, will cause the offence that attempts to delete articles on valid
but 'obscure' topics can.  The potential damage to the community of erring
is asymmetric here.

Charles