[WikiEN-l] Totally unscientific investigation...

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:24:48 UTC 2005

Forgot to respond to this part:

On 11/15/05, kosebamse at gmx.net <kosebamse at gmx.net> wrote:
> Wikipedia needs more dumping grounds. We have seen that with trolls, some of
> whom now spend their energy for the benefit of mankind on consumerium.org
> and elsewhere. If people redirect their "fanwanking" activities to sites
> outside Wikipedia, all the better.

So-called 'fanwanking' doesn't damage unrelated articles nearly as
much, though.  Trolls and those out to 'change the world' according to
their ideas (if there's any difference) want to change the core.

The only real damage fanboys create on Wikipedia is the "X in popular
culture" disease that infects way too many articles, but fortunately
these can be got rid of quite easily.

And as has been said before, most subjects appear to be 'fancruft' to
someone.  Articles on obscure bits of history almost nobody remembers
are of interest to significantly fewer people than articles about game
characters, after all.

-matt