[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting remains stupid as well as evil.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:16:42 UTC 2005

Andrew Gray wrote:

>As Sam says below, this is an issue of interpretation of a clear and
>sensible rule which is, in this case, ambiguous. We had the same over
>Gdansk/Danzig, over Gasoline/Petrol, over Alumin(i)um, a score of
>other pages. I have no doubt that a sizable proportion of people on
>both sides of those disputes knew for a fact that they were right
>about their preferred usage being vastly more common, and quoted
>specific searches to prove it.

What we need to do, right, is put up a third alternative so horrible
that the warring sides no longer really care which it is as long as
it's not that one. No-one could decide whether the flat round things
with sound in the grooves should be at "Gramophone record" or
"Phonograph record", so someone invented the term [[Analogue disc
record]] and put the article there. This sucked so much that even the
partisans for one of the standard terms would be happy with the other
one.

So the article was put at [[Gramophone record]], with a redirect at
[[Phonograph record]] and both prominent in the first sentence. I
wonder if something like that could be done here.

[[m:Voting is evil (and stupid)]]

- d.