[WikiEN-l] Tower of Babel - Voting to ignore MoS, NCs for language reasons.

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 01:16:08 UTC 2005

Tom Cadden wrote:
> --- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Unlike many
>>other French-speaking
>>countries the official name for English purposes is
>>the French one.  See
>>the member list for the United Nations at
>>http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html  This does
>>not mean that other
>>French speaking countries follow the same practice.
>>The Central African
>>Republic does not appear as République
>>Centraficaine.
>
> That is irrelevant. The official name of the Republic
> of Ireland is Poblacht na hÉireann. We do not use it.
> Nor do we use the official name in French of the
> French Republic. We do have have the article on
> Germany at the Federal Republic of Germany, let alone
> the German language version of the name.
>
> WP does not use official names are article titles.
> With countries it uses common names, and puts the
> official name at the top of the article's infobox.

My understanding was that the Official Name in English, /as requested by
the Government of Côte d'Ivoire/, was Côte d'Ivoire. Not "Ivory Coast".
They changed their name to Côte d'Ivoire. End discussion. That's their
name. Use it. Redirects are cheap.

>>Maybe the US State Department is just following the
>>UN lead on this.
>>The proportion of newspapers and websites using the
>>English name is
>>irrelevant.  The position of official Ivoirian sites
>>is more influential.
>

> The position of Ivoirian sites is irrelevant. This is
> not an Ivoirian encyclopædia but an English language
> one that does not write its articles to suit
> governments and official sites.

Are you suggesting we should get rid of diacritical marks in article
names when the devs struggled so hard to make them work in the first place?

>>>Even then the majority was queuing up to insist the
>>>French name be kept, no matter what. But a closer
>>
>>look
>>
>>>showed that a large number of those voting to keep
>>
>>the
>>
>>>French name were French speakers!
>>>

>>This is a racist slur for which you owe everyone an
>>apology.
>

> Absolutely not. It is a fact that an article is being
> kept in a location against the explicit rules in the
> MoS but a vote of users of one particular language,
> many of whom seem intent on putting their defence of
> that language above Wikipedia's own rules.

I don't speak French. I voted for the "French" name. What does this say
about your logical phallacy?

>>>What is WP policy when language is used to a block
>>>vote to force the MoS and NC to be ignored in an
>>>article's name?
>>>

>>Please avoid the use of abbreviations.  They only
>>make your comments
>>more difficult to read.
>

> People on WP regularly use MoS for Manual of Style and
> NC for Naming Conventions.

Go read BEANS then. Just because you /can/, doesn't mean you /should/.

>>Determining the official name of a country is not a
>>matter for voting.
>>It is a sure way of having facts overwhelmed by
>>ignorance.
>
> I'm surprised you don't know that WP policy IS to
> decide the location of an article by voting. It is
> done through requesting moves and voting on them. It
> is a standard procedure used throughout WP.

[[m:Voting is evil]].